What can the CAB do to help you manage your debts?

By appointment we can:

Check that you are the person who pays the bill

You may prefer to deal with the problem yourself - in which case the CAB can provide information, advice and assistance you require.

What do you need to do if you want the CAB to help directly?

You need to:

If you just want advice and support from the CAB it is not necessary to bring all these items with you.

Useful Links

National Debtline - telephone helpline (0808 808 4000)

StepChange (formerly Consumer Credit Counselling Service) - telephone helpline (0800 138 1111)

TaxAid free advice for tax problems (0345 120 3779)


Runnymede and Spelthorne Citizens Advice Bureau